Saturday, September 06, 2008

Paci Detox update

So we failed miserably. Well, I wouldn't say miserably, but it was rough. Ethan screamed for almost an hour. I mean, SCREAMED. Like not breathing kind of screaming. He was so upset he was gnawing the paint off his crib rails. Wow. I definitely didn't expect that. And I didn't expect to be such a softy. It was so hard to hear him so upset. He wasn't really a baby that cried much, so to hear him scream and cry for so long was very hard for me. I heard him screaming while I was in the shower with the ventilator fan on. So after over an hour of that, we gave him his paci. The thing is, I know he doesn't need it, but I created the habit for him when he was a baby. So now it's hard to break that habit. I hear it is better to take it away when they're young, but now our thought is to wait until he's a bit older when we can reason with him. Any suggestions or ideas? Maybe he isn't a cold turkey kind of kid. So we'll see what the next few days hold. I can tell you though that it is so nice knowing that he is fast asleep in deep slumber now. Ahh, peace!

Photographical evidence
This used to be a beautiful smooth white crib rail
A few paint chips on his face...and he's not even using his paci! Good gracious, son!

1 comment:

Sheila said...

Hey girl, I have heard some favorite ideas on this one:

1. Take Ethan to see a "new baby" who needs his pacis. Help him wrap the pacis and present them to the baby since babies need pacis, not big boys. (You can borrow Hudson for this if you don't mind waiting until November!)

2. Let Ethan pick out a new toy and "pay" for it with his pacis. Then when he wants his paci later, you can show him the new toy and remind him he traded his paci for it.

I'm not sure what ages these ideas were intended for. With our big move coming, I'm not really sure if we'll make O give up her paci anytime soon. She might need the comfort through the midst of change!