Saturday, January 26, 2008

So much worse

I am writing because I can't sleep and i'm emotionally at my wit's end. Last night got so much worse so quickly. It was weird because he seemed to be doing better but around bed time his hives started getting worse. We called the ER again because he was crying non-stop for 2 hours and his eyes were swelling shut. It was like he was so uncomfortable that he was trying to rip his skin off. They told us to bring him back in. So we went to the ER again last night. The Dr. seemed to think it was an allergic reaction for sure. His main concern (and ours) was to get Ethan comfortable. He was in such pain and discomfort. We were there until 4:30a.m. Ethan was awake a total of 12 hours before he finally fell asleep at 3:00a.m because he couldn't settle down and get comfortable. The Dr.'s had to give him a narcotic to relieve his pain and knock him out. They were giving him double the dosage of benedryl and it was not making him sleepy or knocking him out. They even gave him another anti-histamine that is stronger than benedryl to help and it wasn't working. The steroids weren't working and the 2 other prescription med's we've gotten the past 2 days are now worthless. It was SO rough for us last night. Even with my mom there and Matt's dad, our hearts ached for our son. He just cried and cried and pulled at his skin. He wouldn't relax or settle down for anyone. Not even me. And that just broke my heart. His eyes swole up off and on and nothing seemed to help. The main goal was to get him asleep and comfortable and when that finally happened they let us come home. They said that this reaction or whatever just has to pass on it's own that there is nothing we can do- we can only try to ease his pain. The Dr. said at this point we are treating him like a burn victim. That is what he is feeling. So anyhow, we got home and got in bed at 5:00a.m. and Ethan woke up at 8:00 so I fed him, gave him more med's and he went back to sleep. I just can't sleep. Matt and I are trying to catch up and regain some energy. But I can't. I just laid in the bed praying and crying because I felt so helpless. I decided to come on here to write out my thoughts and just get everything off my chest. I mean my poor baby is sleeping in his winter mittens to keep himself from scratching his skin off. Literally. He made the back of his head bleed last night because he couldn't stop scratching. All of this to say, THANK YOU for your prayers and PLEASE PLEASE continue to pray for Ethan. I know this isn't life or death but this is the hardest thing i've had to go through.
We go to the Dr. tomorrow again to check on him.

No comments: