Thursday, March 12, 2009

Disturbing parenting

Today I was reminded of a story that happened when Matt and I were first married. We went out to dinner at CiCi's pizza. We noticed a girl who was about middle school age sitting in a booth all by herself. She was hysterically crying. Soon her family members joined her and she had to stand up to move her seat. It was then that we noticed a huge poster on the front of her shirt. We managed to get a glimpse of what it said. "I am a thief, I steal from my friends and family." Clearly we gathered that she must have stolen something and this was her parents way of punishing her. However, she was mortified. Although this approach may work. I do not believe in public humiliation of my children. We felt so sorry for her. She was begging and pleading to her parents to take it off and saying she was sorry. At that age so many things are changing in their life socially and physically... I just can't even imagine how those parents felt good about their method of punishing their child. It's scarring is what it is.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I agree. I am actually reading a book right now for one of my counseling classes called "Shepherding a Child's Heart" by Ted Tripp, and it has changed my outlook on parenting (even though I don't have kids!). It is an excellent re-focuser on the responsibility given to parents by God. It's much more than a "five step way to well behaved children" type of book. I would recommend it to all parents.

blsmom said...

Sad, I couldn't do that. I would never say never... I have heard of a situation like this when a 13 year old stole a car so the parents did this but made the child stand on the street corner. That isn't for me and my children but I try not to judge others parenting either, you never know both sides and I am convinced that no matter what we do as parents our children will grow up and say "I am like this because my mom/dad/someone did _______" LOL!!! I think I would have had a hard time not asking what she had done... I am nosey like that. Then I would have judged, I admit it! LOL!