This is our 3rd visit to the dr. in one week. One of which was a well visit for his 2 year check up. However, I have to say I am getting sick of that place. I am going to change my blog name to "An Urgent Care Story" as a play off of "A Wedding Story, A Baby Story, or even A Makeover Story". For those of you that know us, we are pretty much VIP at the ER between the 3 of us. Ugh. Although I do share these stories and joke around, I know that we are truly blessed to have our lives and i'm thankful that these stories are not life threatening. Now, on to our "Urgent Care Story".
We took Ethan to the dr. again today because they told us if his eye was not better by Saturday then he needed to be seen. Well not only is his eye not better, he has been running a high fever for 3 days, not sleeping at night, breathing funny, and other various symptoms. So we get to the Urgent Care place and they look at his ears. They're fine. Look at his throat, eyes, nose, etc. They are fine. Listen to his chest and lungs. Seems fine. He has a 102.8 fever in the dr. office. They decide to do chest x-rays to check for pneumonia. They are fine. They put a dye in his eye, shine a purple light to see if his eye is scratched. It's fine. They decide to do blood work. Not-so-fine. So remember my post a few days back where at his pediatrician I told them he was strong and they kind of shrugged me off. Well today is the same story, but not quite as bad. They checked his veins, he has good veins in both arms. So this should be easy. Well they lay him down on the table. I tell them that he is strong and I give a short story about the shot incident that happened Wednesday. So she asks Matt to hold his arm that they are going to draw blood from. I hold his other arm, head and legs. The nurse is holding down the arm plus trying to draw blood. In goes the needle. Here comes The Incredible Hulk. Ethan tenses up, starts thrashing, the needle slips out, a little blood goes on the table, the nurse is like, "Oh baby, you are strong...wow" and proceeds to try to get the blood but we have him so pinned down that we are actually cutting of circulation which is making the blood come out at snail speed. She has to stop. She tells us, "wow you weren't kidding! I didn't believe you when you said he was strong, but I do now. Wow. He's a strong boy. Wow. If no one else believes you, tell them to call me over here and i'll tell them that you got a strong boy. WOW!"
(COME ON PEOPLE, HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO TELL YOU?!?! I am not making this up. I am not telling you that he's strong to brag, make myself look good, or whatever.)
So anyhow, she has to go get another nurse. With 4 of us pinning him down we manage to get the blood needed to do the test. Results. Negative, everything that the dr. is checking out for isn't there. Which I guess is a good thing. The doctor says that he is what they call, "having a fever with an unknown source". It could be the eye. It could be bacterial. It could be viral. Basically they don't know. And unless it gets worse or his fever doesn't go away then it just needs to play out. So they put him on an antibiotic. Shipped his blood off to run some more test and we got to come home. Exhausting.
Bonus story: To top it off when we were leaving the dr. Matt notices a funny sound coming from the car in which he inspects and finds that our tire thread is showing on the tire. So he is currently out with his dad getting it fixed. Fun day. I am hoping for some rest and that Ethan gets better. I keep telling myself that I could not even imagine having 2 kids. We are exhausted with just 1. I do want more kids one day, but i'm thinking more and more "why rush!?!".
My thoughts at the end of the day still remain. God is good. His grace is sufficient for us each day. We are blessed. I love that we have friends and family around to support us. It could always be worse. Off to take a much needed nap...
5 comments:
it's hard when we are going through those times... and whatever time we are going through it's our battle and it's big to us... but you are right, the battles could be so much worse, we've a lot to be thankful for, altho it's SO hard when your little guy isn't feeling well, not to mention fighting against having his blood taken.Hang in there. I'm praying you get sleep tonight.
Oh Cheri, I'm so sorry, but I can identify with what you went through. When Pamela was about 3 or 4 years old, every time she had to have something done, it was a major battle. Your story reminds me of a time when they wanted to check her for strep. Oh my goodness!! She fought off me, her dad, the nurses and the doctor AND she won! They never did get the strep test! We laugh about it now, but at the time, it was not so funny!!!! I don't know what she would've done if they had tried to take her blood!! Hope Ethan gets better soon! And that you get some rest....
I saw that "The Penroses" wrote on here, and I just wanted you to know that those are the older Penroses, just in case you were confused!!!!
what in the world! I am so sorry. I am not surprised at all that you have a Hulk for a son! I am praying for you guys!
Thanks a lot Amanda!!! You'd think we have one foot in the grave or something!!! The "Older" Penroses!!!
Post a Comment