Wow. We just got home from Ethan's 2 year check up and we are exhausted. It was the worst appointment of his life. Granted in the grand scheme of things it wasn't bad, but when you're in the thick of it, it seems like the "fun" will never end. So we get called back into the examining room and the first thing they did was a finger prick. Starting at age 2 they prick their finger to test iron levels and whatnot. Well, you would have thought they chopped of his arm. He was SCREAMING! During the prick he moved and got blood on me and I am trying to keep him calm and hold him down while they milk his finger to get enough blood for the test. When it is over they wrapped his finger with a piece of gauze and a band aid over it. Well in his hysteria he pulls it off and blood starts running down his finger. At this point the nurse had left the room so Matt and I were on our own to rummage through their cabinet and find more gauze and band aids. We get it re-wrapped. I get my hands clean. (He's still screaming) So the dr. comes in and is just talking to us, not even trying to examine him and he's screaming and yelling "all done, all done!" Well he starts crying so much that his infected eye that has pink eye starts dripping blood. Talk about a moment I don't want to experience as a mom ever again. To see your child crying tears of blood is just awful. So we hold him down on the examining table to make sure that his eye is ok, which it was. He had just agitated it while screaming and crying. Meanwhile he's still screaming. We are trying to talk to the doctor and we are all shouting at this point because my son has the lungs of an opera singer. We finish the exam and she tells us, oh yeah, he is going to need one shot today. Are you kidding me?!! Hasn't the boy had enough trauma. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that during the "examination" she had to pull back the skin on his wee wee because his circumcision keeps fusing the skin back together. Fun times. So, now time for the shot. I have been told every single appointment that he's had to get shots, "wow, he is a strong boy... I wasn't expecting that kind of strength!" So I fore warn this nurse that in the past they have said he has really strong legs. So she apparently thinks she can take this 2 year old. Well, she was wrong. She had his legs pinned, I had his arms pinned and she injects the shot. He is so strong he rips his legs free and the shot comes out of her hands. She has to practically stab him with it to make all the medicine go into his leg. All the while saying, "wow, you're right he is strong!" Well DUH, didn't I tell you. It's like the nurses that don't believe me that my veins are hard to find when they have to take blood. They shrug me off saying yeah yeah, i've heard it before. But about the 4th time of trying to stick my arm to get blood they decide to take my word. Geesh. So, anyhow, we finish the shot and (still screaming) tell him, "yes, Ethan we are all done!" WHEW. I know things can always be worse, but boy was that an eventful dr. appointment. They are referring us to see a dermatologist about his skin. He has had red bumpy eczema like skin since birth on his arms and legs and after steroid creams, diet changes, and other methods they think it is about time to see a specialist. So, now onto the fun moments of the dr. appointment. His stats. Ethan is approx. 33 lbs which makes him in the 93% for his weight. He was 35 inches long which is about 75% for his height. He is a beast. It is kind of shocking not to see "above 97%" for all his stats which is the way it was the first year of life. But my boy has to level out his growth sometime or he'll be like an Amazon. (No offense to all you amazonians!)
Time to relax. I'm not just exaggerating the awfulness of this appointment. Matt in the car on the way home said, "wow, I have never had high blood pressure in my life, but I KNOW mine is high right now.... I feel like I need a pill to calm down my anxiousness!" Good thing we don't have to go again for a while. Good thing my sweet boy is now fast asleep for hopefully the next 3 hours.
2 comments:
So, next time Matt asks me about kids, I will just bring this up, yes?
Oh my word, I am SO sorry for all of you to have to go through that!!! I am sorry, but I would have been LIVID PISSED at that nurse. Bailey is the same way, when she had her surgery after TWO hours of them trying to get her IV in nicely I yelled at them to let us hold her down and just DO IT. Dale had to lay on her arm, that is how strong she is! I had to walk away!!
Prayers that he rests good and feels fine when he wakes up... I am just shuddering thinking about how bad his little leg much hurt. Give him some loves from me!!!
Post a Comment