Monday, June 15, 2009

When mother nature calls...

...we have no choice but to answer it!

So i'm pretty sure I saw a man walk into the woods today to use the restroom. He was mowing the grass along the road and hopped off and headed towards the trees. I can only assume one thing. Mother nature was calling, and he didn't have time to get to a pay phone!
This reminded me of a famous China story. I went to China a few years back with a group of people to teach conversational English in the public schools. On one of the weekends we all took a bus on about a 4 hour ride to see the Great Wall. (Talk about an amazing thing to see!) Well after we walked and visited it, we had the dreaded bus ride home. Of course mother nature decided to call on me, seeing how I was an American eating foreign foods for the past 2 weeks this wasn't going to be a pleasant call. (In case you didn't get the subtle hints, I was having diarrhea!) Well wouldn't you know that mother nature was calling in the middle of rice fields with NOTHING around for miles....and miles. I was miserable. I remember leaning over in my seat praying and praying that somehow God would put a gas station in the middle of the rice fields for me... or even a tree at this point! Well, he must have heard my request because our driver spotted a building coming up on the right. The building that we saw was an old abandoned warehouse. It was a dark drab building with grass growing all in the cracks of it. I jumped off the bus and started running to find ANYWHERE I could use the restroom. Most of the doors were locked and it wasn't looking good. I rounded a corner and saw a door that was cracked open. Wouldn't you know it was what exactly what I was looking for. An old restroom. However, if any of you know, there aren't toilets in rural areas of China...it is what we call squaties. A hole in the ground that you squat over. When I walked in I was immediately hit with a putrid smell. There was a mound of old used toilet paper heaped in the corner, the "hole" in the ground was almost over flowing with old....sewage. But it was then and there that I answered mother nature's call and I was SO thankful to have that old abandoned warehouse with a nasty squatie. I could have been in the middle of a field and happy at that point, but I sure was thankful to be behind closed doors in privacy!
At the end of my trip and when I returned home I had lost over 10 pounds due to "stomach issues". Talk about automatic weight loss!

No comments: