I have been reflecting a lot lately on being thankful. A lot of times we look around us and compare ourselves to others and become unhappy or ungrateful for things we don't have. Especially in this economic time where people are losing their jobs, houses, and even families because of stress. It is easy to become unhappy and ungrateful. I find this is very true for myself. I have noticed a few things lately that I have taken for granted or whined about when really I am so blessed.
My car is 13 years old and is my first and only car I ever bought. I look at it and then see people I know with mini-vans(my vehicle of choice) or nice new cars. It is easy to start becoming ungrateful and envious. Then I stop and remind myself that this car has been such an amazing car. I have had no real problems with it. I have never gotten in an accident and it is paid off! What a blessing!
Matt and I have never owned a house. It's easy to look around at families and young couples that are in nice big houses and become ungrateful about it. Then I stop and think about the blessing we have in our apartment. It is in a WONDERFUL location for us. Matt walks to work(which is also a blessing with us sharing a car), it is along a nice long beautiful road with sidewalks that are great for walking, our property has a lot of trees and a pond and our building is right next to our pool, office, and mail box. We are also very close to a public park and small restaurants that are within walking distance. What a blessing!
When I first had Ethan I desired nothing more than to be able to stay at home with him. When I start thinking about wanting a new car or new house or other possessions, I remind myself that if I did have all these things right now there is no way I would be able to afford to stay at home with him. I would have to work in a full time job to pay for all those things. For me personally it isn't worth it. I would rather have a flexible schedule, home raising my son than all those things. I can't believe I let myself have pity parties or take for granted being able to be with my son. What a blessing!
Another example is with Ethan. He has had a high fever the past 2 days. He has been very clingy and whiny. It is very easy to lose my patience with him and want him to snap out of it. Then I go to the doctor and hear how he has hand, foot and mouth. He has huge blisters on his throat. Well no wonder! I need to count my blessings that 1. there isn't anything worse wrong with him. 2. That even though he has been whiny, he is in a TON of pain. Who am I to say, "woe is me, I have a cranky sick toddler" when he is the one hurting?!! I need to stop complaining and COUNT MY BLESSINGS!
So with anything in your life.... it is very easy to compare yourself to others and become ungrateful. I am challenging you as well as myself to be thankful for what you do have. Start counting your blessings the minute those negative thoughts start entering your mind. And be happy for other people's blessings as well. No matter how good or bad we've got it, there is always someone worse or better off than we are. So stop comparing yourselves! Count your blessings and then Thank the One who made it all possible.
No comments:
Post a Comment