Monday, December 08, 2008

My life with a newborn

I have a 22 month old boy, but it feels like I have a newborn all over again. His sickness is mostly gone, however because I had to hold him when he had the croup so bad, all he wants to do is be held in the night. That has been making for very long and sleepless nights. It has been very very hard. Especially since Matt and I now have the cold that Ethan had. Add in the fact that Matt has 3 final exams today for Seminary, and we are just exhausted. When my sweet friend Jen Joyner asked me how I was on Sunday I just started bawling. I was not intending to cry, but the emotions and sleepless nights all caught up to me. Thankfully we have great parents and my mom offered to take Ethan for the afternoon so we could rest. We literally walked in the door after church and went straight to bed. I slept from 12:15 until 4:00! Last night was a little better. Ethan cried for an hour when we put him to bed, slept through the night and woke up at 6:00a.m. crying again. Whenever we walk in there he asks, "hold you" or "chair" and points to the glider. Whenever I walk to the crib he starts screaming. He just wants to sleep in our arms. Today's nap got a little better. He only cried for 15 minutes when we put him down. However he woke up after an hour with a poopy and now has spent the past 40 minutes crying. I just could not even imagine having another child while going through this all, especially since unless our living situation drastically changes, our other hypothetical child would be sharing a room with Ethan. So these thoughts of having baby #2 are being put on hold for a bit. PLEASE pray for us. I know this may seem silly and in the grand scheme of things isn't a big deal, but it has been very hard to hear your child cry and scream for hours and know that they just need to get through this phase. I'm sure our neighbors aren't loving it either. But it has to be done. Yay.

1 comment:

Alyson said...

I totally understand what you are going through. Although Phoebe isn't sick, she LOVES to get up in the middle of the night and all she wants to do is get in the bed with me. Since we were away for Thanksgiving, I didn't want her screaming in the middle of the night to wake up family, I let her sleep with me. Since we have been home she has been crying it out and Gabriel sleeps night through it. They have been in the same room since about Phoebe was about 6 months, they really do get used to hearing each other and sleeping through 20 minutes of scream in the middle of the night. Hope that you all are feeling better soon and start to feel rested again.