Tuesday, May 20, 2008

No dairy allergy?!

Monday we had Ethan's 15 month appointment. He is growing well and is still above 75% in all areas...thankfully his growth is leveling out or he would be an amazon by age 3! He got some shots and did really well. He always screams when they go in, but quickly calms down. The interesting part of the visit was when the Dr. concluded that his excema flair is NOT an allergy. She brought out a text book and showed me the condition that he has. It was like someone took a picture of Ethan's leg and put it in there. SO, I guess he isn't allergic to dairy! Why we haven't discovered this sooner, I don't know. BUT, I am glad to hear it if this is really the case. This condition (I can't pronounce let alone spell it) cannot be treated and there is no real cause. The funny thing is, the way i've been treating him for this excema/allergy is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what this condition requires. For example, during bath, excema says do NOT rub his skin or scrub it and pat it dry... however, the new condition suggests using an exfoliating soap and even a loofa or pumice stone to scrub his skin. How weird. So we'll see. He also got a prescription cream to put on it. Hopefully this well help it subside.
Sidenote: he has started eating dairy again and so far there hasn't been a reaction...so thats good. I forgot how much he LOVED cheese. YAY, he even had a bit of vanilla icecream tonight after dinner. He kept signing more and please and couldn't get enough. I love my sweet boy!

1 comment:

blsmom said...

What a relief!! Syd has some weird spots on her legs too... we still don't know for sure what causes it but Eucern (?SP) cream lotion is the ONLY thing that will even touch it. Weird...