Thursday, December 20, 2007
Sick Saga update
2 vomits, and 24 diapers later we end up at the Urgent Care again today. Matt called the Dr. about Ethan today and they recommended that we bring him in to do some blood tests and give him IV fluids. When we got there the Dr. said she thought he was starting to get dehydrated. They were going to do blood work first. That's where it all began. Apparently Ethan has veins like me... they like to hide. My poor baby got poked on his arm, on one ankle and then the other. It was SO hard to see him go through that. They COULD NOT get a vein. He screamed so loud and cried and it was so horrible to be in there, but I knew I needed to be with him. They eventually decided to give up and get a finger prick. So they pricked his finger and basically milked it like a cow trying to squeeze as much blood out without having to poke him again. They ran some tests and everything seemed to look ok. All in all that is a good thing, but it was hard for him to have to go through that only to find out that there really is nothing we can do for him but wait it out. They ended up not giving him an IV. Wouldn't be able to get it in, probably would had to go to the ER, and the tests said he wasn't as dehydrated as they thought. Somehow his body is retaining some fluids even though in our eyes they are all coming out! They gave him another antibiotic shot in the leg and the powder in his mouth to prevent more vomiting. Any time I leaned away from him during all this to get out of the way or rest my back, he would scream and turn towards me like it was life or death. He did NOT want me leaving his side. We were sent home with a written plan of what to give him and how to give it. He is on a liquids only diet where we feed him like every 20 minutes an ounce of clear fluids.... pedialyte, chicken broth, watered down gatorade, jello, etc. So far he has done great. He hasn't vomited at all, but still has diareah. Poor baby's butt is SO raw from it. He screams every time we wipe him. Actually he starts screaming now just when we lay him on the changing table because he knows what is coming. The Dr. loaded us up with special soy based formula so that when we do start introducing it to him again it will be a lot more gentle than regular formula because the lactose can be hard on his tummy. It's just a mess. I know he will get better and I am truly trying to not let it change my heart or emotions, but it is draining. It is SO hard to see your baby like this. I know there are worse things in life.... worse sicknesses and surgeries, so I try to count my blessings. But I am SO looking forward to the day he gets better! Where we don't have to do 5 loads of wash, go through 30 diapers, or be up all night with a crying sick baby! Hopefully this will all be over by Christmas. My poor husband is supposed to preach this Sunday but hasn't had time to prepare. Through all of this we know God is with us and there is a greater plan than we can see at this moment. Thank you for your prayers and please continue to pray for our family!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh no... I pray he is on the mend now. It is so hard when they are sick and have to go through something like getting poked 90 times for nothing :( Breaks my heart!!! Some mom advice, take it or leave it but if you are using wipes on him still try just a wet wash cloth, they don't hurt AS bad. And there was something else I was going to suggest and I totally spaced it out... ugh! If I remember I will come back!!
I hope you get some sleep soon, it is so hard to function and take care of them when you are exhausted!!
Love you all!!!!
How is that boy today?? I have been thinking of you all!!! I hope he is 100% better and getting into everything right now!! ;)
Post a Comment