We have officially been potty training for 6 days now. On day 1 he was perfect...not a single wet diaper or underwear. He even went poo poo on the potty that night. The next few days were a bit of a struggle, but not too bad. I knew I shouldn't expect perfection but I got a little frustrated. I wanted to give up. But the past few days he has done really well. (Despite being constipated and having to sit on the potty for almost 2 hours this morning to work it out) He has even woke up a couple of mornings with a completely dry diaper/pull-up. I know we are far from being over, but I have to say I am really proud of him and he is doing very well. It is true what they say... the kid is not being potty trained, the parents are. Because right now most of the time it is me remembering to take him and reminding him to potty, he isn't voluntarily offering me that information. Although, he is sorta telling me when he has to go poo poo. We occasionally offer M&M's, but generally he isn't expecting any kind of treat for going. I never wanted him to be dependent on that. We did however, buy him a monster truck toy and when he went poo poo a few times in the potty we gave it to him. He knows that when he goes in his diaper that we have to put it up until the next time he goes in the potty. So far we haven't had to do that. It is definitely easier to just let your child be in diapers. But I keep reminding myself that i'd rather be training him now while i'm pregnant, than with a newborn who i'm going to be consumed with. Have hope mommy's, it can be done! It may take some time, but potty training will be a good thing. Share your tips with each other and know that what works for some children, may not work for others.
p.s. I'm not looking forward to the first stomach bug he has...I have heard far too many stories about kiddos who are potty training, or just out of diapers and then the wonderful stomach bug hits the household. Joy.
No comments:
Post a Comment