Saturday, September 26, 2009

I need a support group


This picture is pretty much the norm in our kitchen. I have a horrible habit of letting the house get horribly bad before I clean it. Especially when it comes to the kitchen. We have a working dishwasher and everything, but I can't seem to conquer this issue in my life. I need help. The bad thing is it usually takes someone coming over to kick our butts into gear with the cleaning. Matt doesn't seem to mind, and I don't really mind unless we get to a point where we have no clean dishes (this happens frequently) or fruit flies start invading.
I haven't always been this way. I used to be an extreme neat freak. Getting married and having a child has completely done me in. I now toss things on the counter with the thought of, "i'll get to it later"... in my mind I mean like later in the day, however truthfully it usually isn't until a week later! When I do clean it, I usually keep it spotless for a few days, then it only takes one or two things to get sat on the counter before the build up begins. I have really wanted this bad habit to be demolished, but now that I know in just a few months we'll be adding another child into the mix, I know I have to get on top of this. It will only get worse. My mom always tells me, "just clean up at the end of each day and it won't get this bad"! I started doing that and that lasted well... one day. I glance at the kitchen before heading to bed and say, "oh, i'll just get to it tomorrow!"
So i'm confessing this to the world out there so that hopefully i'm embarrassed enough to actually change my habit! I need to take the wonderful advice of my mom and just DO IT at the end of every day, or I need to have people come over everyday so we are forced to clean. Anyone want to come over?

9 comments:

Mollie said...

hmmmm.... looks painfully familiar!

Dana Lewis, DVM said...

okay, be there in 5 minutes...get crackin'....

Dana Lewis, DVM said...

really you need FPU for housework....make a plan and stick to it....Monday/Wednesday/Friday-dishes into dishwasher and run it. Tuesday Thursday Saturday-empty dishwasher. Sunday wipe off the counter and put away detritus that is accumulating on countertops/tables. Monday laundry, Tuesday fold and hang, Wednesday all laundry put away. Thursday find the floor, Friday vacuum and mop the floor. Sunday bills/budget. or something like this. give yourself a commision sheet and dole out dimes if need be!!!!!

blsmom said...

I would love to help you but my kitchen is the same way!! I used to be a neat freak until I think child #2 then I just gave up!

We should text each other everyday to see what we are cleaning... maybe that could motivate us both???

Mary Mac said...

no matter how many times I clean the kitchen it seems to always look like this not five minutes later. I was just telling tim how frustrating it is to have everything I have done all day "undone"

Grammy said...

I'm with you, altho I try to "encourage you"... I have to admit, sometimes I'm too lazy to empty the dishwasher so I wash them by hand, that's bad! A lot of it is a matter of organization, great suggestions ladies... Maybe try to empty it every morning as Ethan is eating breakfast, that way you can put the dish's in it throughout the day and then run it at bed time. I try to empty when I get home from work, then run it after breakfast.. whatever works. We all struggle, and find what works for us.

Amanda said...

One thing my mom taught me was to clean as I go. If you are cooking dinner or breakfast, and are already in the kitchen, you might as well. If you are making chicken something, and it's going to be 20 minutes before it's done, use that 20 minutes to clean up whatever you used to make dinner. It's so nice to go into the kitchen after dinner and the only dishes that are dirty are the ones you just ate off of!

Mike said...

Honestly, courtney went away for the 4 days and i cleaned the house and kept it spotless for the duration. how hard is this? geez. i mean, i was only using EVERY available second to keep up and there is no way i could keep that up for a life time! :) i am no Carri Loz!!! :)

anyway...there are worse things than dirty dishes!

Mike said...

oh, and get matt to help more! :)