Monday, September 28, 2009

Gestational Diabetes

Well I just received a call from my doctor that I failed the 3 hour glucose tolerance test. Which means I do have Gestational Diabetes. They are referring me to a Prenatal specialist to start the diabetic care plans. I start out trying to do a diet controlled plan and if my sugar is still high I will have to be put on medication (which is what happened with my pregnancy with Ethan), and if it STILL is high on medication then I have to do insulin shots. So needless to say I am not excited, but it was to be expected. I had a crazy 90% chance that I would have it again in this pregnancy, so the odds were against me. The part that is hard is there is NOTHING I can do. My body doesn't produce enough insulin to support me and the baby. I just pray that after I have this precious boy that I will be able to maintain a healthy weight and watch what I eat so that I do not have Diabetes. While this will be no fun, I am glad there is something that can be done and other than it causing a large baby, we both should be fine if the medication helps. Off to go chew on a celery stick... I guess I shouldn't drink the Sunkist I was planning on drinking. Hee hee!

5 comments:

Mike said...

Sorry about the news Cheri. Hang in there! The little man is worth it all!

Mollie said...

Hang in there, girl! You know the ropes, and you know that you'll make it through again. And in the end you will be so glad you did. Also, I just cleaned my kitchen in honor of you. It meant emptying the dishwasher before dishes could go in. What a pain. ;)

Mary Mac said...

we will be praying for you. thank you so much for sharing with detail. we would have NO idea if you didn't!!! I just made banana bread with splenda. definitely not as good as with real sugar. I feel for ya.
mm

Brooks said...

I wish you would have been the 10% that didn't have "the sugars" again this time around. At least it will force you to eat well. I'll be praying for no insulin shots!

Brooks said...

I wish you would have been the 10% that didn't have "the sugars" again this time around. At least it will force you to eat well. I'll be praying for no insulin shots!