Friday, April 03, 2009

Tonsillectomy

We left the house at 9:00a.m. yesterday and headed to Duke Raleigh Hospital. We checked in at 9:45 and was surprised at how quickly everything was taking. Then we hit a road block. The outpatient surgeries were backed up. My surgery that was scheduled for 11:45 ended up happening at 12:45. Not too bad of a wait except I kept having to use the little girls room because of all the fluids they had going in my IV. I was nervous but I know a lot of people were praying for me. Matt prayed with me in the waiting room then after a little cry I was fine. I wanted to ask if they had a teddy bear that I could hold, ha ha! But I thought I needed to suck it up! So I did. Next thing I remember is 2 nurses were up by my head "SCREAMING Cheri, wake up Cheri". They probably weren't screaming, but it felt like it. I was in a lot of pain at first and they kept letting me suck on ice chips. But after some more pain medicine and anti-nausea medicine I was good to go. (I threw up a lot when I got my wisdom teeth out, so they were giving me more nausea medicine.) We left the hospital around 4:00. I think. Everything is a bit blurry. I was pretty knocked out. Matt was being so great to me. Waking me up every 4 hours to take medicine and getting me water and some ice cream. I don't think we'll have to buy ice cream for a year because of everyone who brought some for me. Thank you so much! Matt even had a bowl full himself last night. I slept great in the night, just woke up on the dot for pain medicine. I had to ice my throat sometime around 5:30 because I could feel it getting more swollen and making it hard to breathe depending on what position I was lying in. So anyhow, things appear to be going pretty well right now. Keep praying for me, they say day 5 of your recovery is the worse. It has to get a bit worse before it gets better. I am blown away by people's kindness and love. Thank you.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

we will keep praying for ya sis! Let me know if you need anything else!

Grammy said...

Glad you are doing well. We will keep praying for you. Ehtan is having a ball.. he calls for me then says in a real high voice "what sweetie" he did it last night when I was running to yur house... Papa said he was at the gate saying in a deep voice "grammy grammy" then in a high pitched voice "yes sweetie" Cracked papa up!

blsmom said...

Glad you are doing well, keep swollowing!! (not sure if I spelled that right?) Bailey did well until the 3rd day... but they also told us no ice cream, milk makes the snot thicker. odd, she could have popcycles though. Anyway, just take care of yourself!! Rest up while the boy is off playing!! :) Praying for your recovery!!!!