Well this weekend was a fun/interesting weekend. I went to South Carolina for the baby shower and had a great time. However, the whole time I was with great friends I was distracted by the fact that my dad was in the hospital with a snake bite. Oh yes, my dad was bit by a rattle snake. I know what you're thinking right, this only happens in movies. Well i'm living proof that it can be a reality. Last Thursday when I first got to Charlotte I received a call that my dad had been bit by moving fire wood from a wood pile. The ironic thing was that he was almost finished and he was grabbing his last 2 pieces. Let's say he thoroughly ticked the snake off. Anyhow, my first instinct was to come home immediately. However, I was told to continue with my plans that as soon as he got to the hospital that he would be out of the danger zone and he would feel better after he was given anti-venom. So I continued with my plans because I was told he would be out by midnight. Well it is Sunday and he is still in. It was SO hard to be away from a loved one who is suffering and going through so much pain.
I cut my vacation short and got home late last night. Because what started out as a midnight release, got worse and now they aren't sure when he'll get out. Because this hardly happens in our state, the doctors have no clue what they are doing. They are communicating with poison control and trying to do what they think is best. Basically he is so doped up on pain medicine it is like talking to a manican that stares you straight in the face. His left arm was real swollen about double in size. The swelling is going down. But, the finger that got bit is basically a giant blood blister all over it. It looks like his finger could burst any minute. His skin is black where the fangs went in. It is really scary and surreal to think about. Rattlesnake bites are really really painful. So he is on oxygen and his arm is hanging from a sling that is hanging from the ceiling so that he has constant elevation. It is just a matter of time. Tomorrow he could be a lot better or it could take a week. His spirits have been pretty low because he thought he would be out by now. Praise God it wasn't fatal. I know we can't complain, but it is frustrating when one doctor says they're opperating and one says they aren't. Then another says no physical activity and the other says he needs to be walking around. They seem to not know what to do. They didn't give him anti-venom at first because they didn't think he would need it. They discovered that he did need it, so they gave it to him, then today they told us that he didn't get enough, but they aren't going to give him more. Let's just say my brother really wanted to sue them today. So if you could, please pray for my dad. I know there are worse things in life, but this seems bad to him at the moment. I know one day we'll look back and laugh, but that day seems so far away. And of course since I am pregnant I am an emotional wreck. I love my daddy and it is scary to think that we could have lost him. Cherish every minute with your loved ones, because you never know when it will be your last. Especially pray for those that don't know the Lord.
1 comment:
That is really scary! I hope your dad is alright, and home already!
Post a Comment