Sunday, December 12, 2010

Preparing for Christmas

I can hardly believe that Christmas is only 13 days away! It just doesn't seem possible!
We decorated our tree and it is tied to the wall by fishing line because it kept falling over. Ethan was so cute decorating the tree because he was very excited. He kept putting all the ornaments on one branch as seen in the picture to the right! We kept telling him to spread them out and that the WHOLE tree could be decorated, but he flocked to the one branch. Whenever he would turn his back I would grab a few ornaments off that he had put on and put them on the other side of the tree.
He also immediately put the stockings on his feet and was skipping around the apartment. I have very vivid memories of me doing the exact same thing as a child. Another reason that he is definitely just like me!
We also put up my Willow Tree nativity set. We have started the tradition of Ethan unwrapping each piece and handing it to me and I will tell him the Christmas story as we set it up. One of my favorite things I own right now is a Yankee candle, Hollyberry. It smells so good! Whenever I light it the sweet smell fills our apartment and it truly makes me think of Christmas.
My only challenge, as I write this, is that with all the external preparations we are making for Christmas, I hope I can stop and reflect on Christs' birth. Because without that, we truly are not celebrating Christmas. I want to instill in Ethan that this time is not all about presents, Christmas trees, and Santa. (Although those are fun!) But I want my boys to know that this holiday is about a time where we remember the coming of our Savior, Jesus Christ. That he was born to a virgin, is God's son, and was sinless. He became sin for us when he died on the cross. You can not look at Christmas & Easter as separate, because they are very much connected. I pray that you all enjoy this time of year and all that it entails! Don't lose sight of the true reason for the season!

No comments: