Sunday, December 19, 2010

"Dadadadadadada"

I don't know when or how it got started, but that is how my dad would sign his cards to me and how I would address mine to him.
My dad is an awesome man. My dad, Lee, was born in Illinois, moved to Colorado where he met my mom in high school and proposed and married her a week after she graduated high school. If I had to think of one word to describe my dad it would be thoughtful. And while, at first glance, that word doesn't seem to encompass a whole lot. For him, it does. He is one of the most thoughtful people. He is constantly loving on us by making our favorite meals, or dishes. Whenever we go to their house, which is frequently, I would say over 90% of the time we walk out the door with more than we came with. He is thoughtful and before we leave his house he scans his pantry for snacks and goodies that he can fill a grocery bag with and give to us. He buys all the grand kids their special snacks and juice boxes so when they come over, he can treat them! It doesn't just stop at the grand kids, he is thoughtful of us too. He makes us specials meals or things that he knows we like. My dad buys us diapers. He makes special trips to Costco after work to buy diapers. Occasionally he will buy me a Starbucks gift card or slip Ethan some change or dollar bills. He is one of the most giving people you will ever meet. One story I will never forget of my dad is hearing how several years ago he had a coworker whom he knew was going through tough times. My dad, as the manager who cares for his employees, went out and bought a grocery gift card for the man. This just left a huge impression on me. One that I will honestly never forget and should model to my children!

As long as I have known my dad he has worked very very hard. Mom told me that when we grew up that there were times we didn't have enough money. I never knew there were money problems, because he (and my mom) always worked so hard and gave us vacations that we will always remember. Driving up to NC to go camping, driving from Florida to New Mexico and Colorado. We were always camping or going to the beach when I was little. He worked hard to give us things he knew we would love and enjoy!

I am so proud to say that I have a dad who has amazing integrity and work ethic. There is so much about my dad that I love and respect. Family is his number one priority. I love him so much. I am so thankful that in college and my adult life we have grown closer. I will also never forget how he showed up at my door on his lunch break one afternoon right after I had Ethan. I was going through some postpartum depression and he came and just spoke straight to me in a loving way. It was after that talk and how he told me that I was an amazing mom and to trust my instincts and just love my sweet baby that I was able to let go and really be healed from those sad days. He literally slapped me out of it with love and truth!

I really don't know where this post is completely going, but one thing is certain, that I want people to know the kind of dad I have. I truly find it a joy and honor to be called his daughter. He means so much to us and I pray that we have many many more years with him on this earth. We could all learn so much from Lee, the man that I call dadadadadadada.
p.s. Picture on right is of my dad & Ethan this past summer on our family vacation to Gatlinburg. My dad, a.k.a. "Papa" is always coming up with fun games to play. This one was bouncing a ball down the stairs and Ethan loved it!

No comments: