Friday, October 02, 2009

Teachable moment

This afternoon as my husband was leaving for work, Ethan and I were sitting on the front steps watching him leave. Ethan looked down to the ground below us and saw a piece of trash. He said, "mommy, what's that?" I said it was trash and he said, "I want to go get it" in which I proceeded to tell him no he wasn't going to go get it, that it was yucky. Then Ethan looked up at me and said, "I want to go get the trash and put it in the trash can". Here I was too worried that my toddler was going to touch a yucky piece of trash, and yet my 2.5 year old wanted to pick up litter and put it in it's rightful place. So I said, of course you can get it and he went down and picked it up and came inside and threw it away. I was so proud of him and glad I stopped to allow him to have this teachable moment with ME! (For those of you who care, he did go wash his hands right after he threw it away!) I hope our family always makes efforts to BECOME LAST. Check out my husbands blog to learn all about what this means for us.
www.becominglast.wordpress.com

No comments: