Thursday, October 08, 2009
Finger prick
So I think I mentioned before that I definitely have gestational diabetes. I met with a specialist this past Monday to discuss the diabetes, diet, and learn how to use my new meter. I have to check my blood sugar 4 times a day. That is loads of fun. So far my numbers have been pretty good, so diet control seems to be working for now. I learned that gestational diabetes is all caused by hormones. There are placental hormones that block the insulin or "eat it" so that it's not used properly. Therefore my sugar isn't getting broken down sufficiently. This explains why as soon as I delivered Ethan my sugar went back to normal. Because you deliver your placenta as well and it's not there to block the insulin. Usually in your 3rd trimester you get another boost of hormones so if I have to take medication it probably won't be until then. Hopefully I will e-mail my dr. my numbers tomorrow and I can back off of checking it so much. I flinch every time I hear the needle click and go into my finger. I know it's coming and yet it still catches me off guard. Even though it isn't too painful and isn't long lasting, it definitely hurts and is annoying to have to do. But oh well, I will do what I can for the best of my babies health as well as mine! Speaking of which I just looked at the time and realized I have to go check it now. Ugh. Here's hoping for another good number!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hope that works out, Cheri! Also, I vote for a pregnant picture blog post!! :)
Sounds like you are doing well with the sugar numbers!!! That is a good thing! Continued prayers it can be controlled with diet and not that icky medicine!! After I had Syd my body kept dumping insulin... wasn't fun!! I have always had low-ish blood sugar numbers and that is no fun either!! HUGS!!!
Post a Comment