Friday, August 14, 2009

One of my favorite times of day

One of my favorite times of the day is putting Ethan down for a nap or down for the night. Ever since he was itty bitty I started singing to him before bed. First it started out as just one song, but through the past year or so we now have a nightly play list that we have to go through. We lay in his big bed, snuggled together and sing various songs. Some of the traditional ones are ABC's, Jesus loves the little children, and Jesus loves me. I always ask him, "what's next?" and he makes requests. Ever since a few weeks ago when we went to Camp Willow Run, we now have 3 or 4 from camp we have to sing. I just cherish this time. We sing, are silly, give kissies, hugs, snuggles and just enjoy each other. He has always gone to bed wonderfully and he is genuinely happy when it's time to go to sleep. We also have a tradition to give a kiss before I get out of bed, then I always kiss him on the forehead and cheeks before I walk out. If I try to walk out without doing the second wave of kisses, he lets me know! As I shut the door I always say, love you. And I just melt when he says, "yove you mommy, night night" as I leave. I know this won't last forever. It would be kind of weird if he was 16 snuggling in bed with his mama singing songs before bedtime. So I am cherishing these times and loving every minute. If going down to sleep takes 30 minutes, so be it. I won't give these times up for anything. Except when occasionally he wants only daddy to put him down. We will even have all 3 of us snuggled in his twin bed singing and cuddling before bed some nights. We won't be able to do that too much longer when this belly of mine starts taking over the bed.
What is a nightly tradition you have with your kids or significant other? Matt and I have our own....every single night we kiss before we go to sleep. It makes it interesting for those few nights we may have gone to bed in a disagreement because despite our anger in the moment we stop. Say I love you and kiss each other. Because at the end of the day nothing else matters except how much we love and care of each other. All arguments and differences aside.
I love my family so much and feel so blessed!

3 comments:

blsmom said...

I miss that age!!! Though I enjoy the ages my kids are at now too!! There is something special at each "area" of their life. He will remember singing with you guys forever and that is so awesome!!!

Grammy said...

and here I thot your favorite time of day was when you put Ethan's mommy down for a nap :)

Brooks said...

How sweet! What fun things we have to look forward to.