Thursday, April 01, 2010

It's off!

Caleb's umbilical cord stump FINALLY came off today. He is 8 weeks old today. Ethan held onto his until the day he turned 1 month old, but Caleb holds the record! A few days ago we had his 2 month check up and the doctor put some silver nitrate on it to help it fall off. I can't tell you how happy I am that it is gone. Yay for a "real" bath! I can't wait to bathe him now and not worry about getting that thing wet. Although my friend Brooks' little girl holds the record. I believe she had hers for 2 months, 3 weeks, and like 6 days. How funny!
Anyhow, Caleb's stats were impressive. Especially the weight gain. He gained over 3 pounds in one month. About 2 weeks ago I stopped breastfeeding because I was having some supply issues. It is a long story, but basically I wasn't making enough to support my baby boy. He is eating 5 ounces every 3 hours!!! The doctor said if he starts taking 5 more ounces in a 24 hour period then I will need to start putting rice cereal in a bottle to keep him full. He is making up for lost time with his slow start to life and slow weight gain. He is still average for his age, but eats like a hoss. Here are the current stats:
Weight: 10 pounds 14.5 ounces. (45%)
Height: 22 inches long (25%) ** I thinks he measured wrong because he wasn't stretched out all the way. But who knows.
Head circum.: 40 cm. (55%)
Definitely different from Ethan who was above 95% on all his stats for basically his whole first year of life. In so many ways they are similar, but already so different.
Two nights ago we moved Caleb into his crib in his room with his brother. We had been keeping him in the pack and play in the living room. His transition has been great. I was so worried that he would wake Ethan up, but so far so good. I always worry about transitions but my kids always do so well. (Moving Ethan into a big bed, taking paci away, etc.) I should know by now that I have such easy going babies. (knock on wood!) I mean, for sure we are going through a huge toddler phase with Ethan and having some rough discipline, but generally my boys are very laid back and easy going, especially with change. Caleb is doing so good. He pulled a few 8 hours stretches at night, but on average is sleeping around 6 hours between feedings at night. He is just starting to smile at you and in the past few days has really picked up the cooing and "talking" to us. I love this phase! Caleb's eyes are turning into a real pretty light blue. We have had several compliments from different people about his pretty eyes. It makes a mommy feel proud when people oogle over their baby! I know my boys are cute, but I could be a little biased. Ha, anyhow, my dad tells me I don't post enough on my blog so I will try to do better. Before I head off for today, I have to say that today was my first day back to work. I work in childcare 4 mornings a week and Ethan moved up to his big boy room today. He is now in the 3-5 year old room. He did GREAT! I am so proud of him. I can already tell I am going to be one of those moms that cry when you send them off to kindergarten. I just love my baby and I beam with pride and so many emotions with each stage that comes along that proves his is growing up way too fast! If money were no object I would definitely consider having another one already... that and the fact I hemorrhaged with my c-section and Caleb was in the NICU for the first few days...... yeah, well now that i'm thinking about it. Never mind. HA!

No comments: